What’s up Team!
Eventually I will assign activities that incorporate the fascinating molecular biology of the novel corona virus, but for now I wanted to share some great resources that you might be interested in checking out to educate yourself about the current COVID-19 pandemic. Enjoy!
1. Where do new viruses come from? – Stated Clearly
2. The Coronavirus explained and what you should do. – Kurzgesagt – In a Nutshell
3. A kid’s guide to Corona Virus. – NYTimes The Daily
5. Why COVID-19 is hitting us now – and how to prepare for the next outbreak – Alanna Shaikh
6. The proximal origin of SARS-CoV-2 – NATURE (This is really technical, but a very reputable study showing the novel corona virus evolved from another corona virus and was not synthesized in a lab).
7. Finally, for the super nerds out there (myself included) here is a badass website showing the most up-to-date information about the evolutionary history (phylogeny) or SARS-CoV-2 and it’s evolution as it spreads with amazing data visualization tools. Check it out!
8. Bad News Wrapped in Protein: Inside the Coronavirus Genome (NYTimes – requires you to sign up, but it’s free through June!)
9. How Coronavirus Hijacks Your Cells (NYTimes – requires you to sign up, but it’s free through June!)