This week I have some kickass activities that will hopefully answer many questions you have about emerging infectious diseases and the current SARS-CoV-2 COVID-19 pandemic. This week we will learn about Nipah virus and how we can apply what we learned from this disease to COVID-19. Next week we will learn about the ‘spillover’ of zoonotic diseases in a fantastic film! Stay tuned!
- Complete the Epidemiology of Nipah Virus activity here.
- Also, check out this video explaining how human activities create pandemics and what changes we can make to prevent them in the future.
As always, I am available through email or zoom (email for code) for questions.
Stay healthy! Keep exercising and washing your hands!
Time to evaluate our understanding of Restriction Enzymes:
- PLEASE COMPLETE THIS QUIZ: GEL ELECTROPHORESIS REVIEW AND RESTRICTION ENZYME QUIZ
Next, let’s learn a new technique called Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR)
I want you to be aware of a program for Low-Cost Internet through Cox ($10/mo. for 2 months) in case you have challenges accessing reliable internet.
Details can be found here.
What’s up Team!
Eventually I will assign activities that incorporate the fascinating molecular biology of the novel corona virus, but for now I wanted to share some great resources that you might be interested in checking out to educate yourself about the current COVID-19 pandemic. Enjoy!
1. Where do new viruses come from? – Stated Clearly
2. The Coronavirus explained and what you should do. – Kurzgesagt – In a Nutshell
3. A kid’s guide to Corona Virus. – NYTimes The Daily
5. Why COVID-19 is hitting us now – and how to prepare for the next outbreak – Alanna Shaikh
6. The proximal origin of SARS-CoV-2 – NATURE (This is really technical, but a very reputable study showing the novel corona virus evolved from another corona virus and was not synthesized in a lab).
7. Finally, for the super nerds out there (myself included) here is a badass website showing the most up-to-date information about the evolutionary history (phylogeny) or SARS-CoV-2 and it’s evolution as it spreads with amazing data visualization tools. Check it out!
8. Bad News Wrapped in Protein: Inside the Coronavirus Genome (NYTimes – requires you to sign up, but it’s free through June!)
9. How Coronavirus Hijacks Your Cells (NYTimes – requires you to sign up, but it’s free through June!)
Please find this week’s assignment here: BIOTECHNOLOGY 1,2: APRIL 6 – 20, 2020 ASSIGNMENTS
This week I need you to watch a few more background videos on restriction enzymes before reading some notes and lastly completing two practice sheets.
Also, if you haven’t yet done so, please complete the Contact Information form so that I am positive I have your correct gmail address.
As always, please email me if you have any questions 🙂
Thanks Team! I MISS YA’LL BIG TIME! – Jonas